Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Now Filming in the 'Burgh: The Fault in Our Stars


I admit, I wasn't too crazy when I heard they were making a movie of The Fault in Our Stars, the incredibly moving novel by John Green.

To begin with, I confess I'm not much of a movie person. That's a recent development; I never used to be this way. And I have a particular apathy for movies made of books I really, really love - like The Fault in Our Stars. 

Because this book is special. It just is.

But oh, now that the movie is filming here in Pittsburgh, as reported by the Post-Gazette, that's a different story.

I'd definitely recommend reading this before seeing the movie. Here's part of my review, from my other blog:

“Sometimes you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.” (pg. 33)
You (as in, all you bloggers) have said that this is such a book.
Here’s what you need to know about The Fault in Our Stars: It’s the story of Hazel Lancaster and Augustus Waters, teenagers who meet in a most unlikely place – a cancer support group. Hazel has accepted that she is likely to die; Augustus is in remission. The bond between the two … well, it sounds cliche to say that they are star-crossed lovers, a cancer-filled Romeo and Juliet, but it makes sense in the meaning and context of this novel. 
And that’s all I’m going to say. Because, as sad and as heartbreaking as the premise may sound, this is an absolute must-read. For teens, for adults, for EVERYONE. It’s a tearjerker, yes. You will cry. But you know what? You’ve cried over more trivial crap, like those who’ve been kicked off America’s Dancing with Survivors and Top Models Who Have No Talent.  Am I right?
The Fault in Our Stars is a story about love and risk and the unfairness of life and it is simply brilliant in every way.
It earns and is more than worthy of your tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment